I N T E R V I E W S

Wednesday 4 November 2009

DRESSED IN GIALLO: AN INTERVIEW WITH ITALIAN WRITER PAOLO ROVERSI by José Roversi

We enter a well known bookstore in Padova, italy. Cecilia, my gurú-girlfriend, points out a book where an abbandoned pistol and a green "Vespa" on a wet dark street jumps out the cover shouting: Read me!

It´s "L'Uommo Della Pianura" (Mursia, 2009), the latest work of italian writer Paolo Roversi, one of the biggest names of "Romanzo Giallo", or more specifically, the "Noir Metropolitano", a subgenre usually placed in a populated metropolitan area. In Roversi's case: Milano.

I have got to hear about Paolo mainly as one of the supreme priests of the Charles Bukowski cult. His produced at least three major works inspired by or dedicated to the legendary Los Angeles based poet, one being a first italian biography co-written with a phenomenal character: the writer, translator and music critic Fernanda Pivano, who, as a teen talent at the Liceo Massimo D'Azzeglio in Torino became a friend of Primo Levy and pupil of Cesare Pavese.


I also knew Paolo writes for Rolling Stone magazine and sponsors and amazing web: Milano Nera, dedicated to Noir, Thriller and Poliziesca. One of the best of its kind for Giallo lovers.

Cecilia grabs the book, reads a few pages and solemnly declares: I`ts great!! I`m Buying it...

The cashier, a smart girl in her early twenties, says she loves Roversi's work too, she's a Giallo fan...

Apparently, Paolo Roversi and Giallo are terms increasingly associated by the italian public.
A major writer it´s been born.

We wanted to talk to Paolo but, him being caught in a long promotion tour all over Italy, I didn't see it happening. But in the end, against all odds, Paolo's generosity made it possible...

JR: Why do we love Giallo so much? What is what we like about it?

PR: I think that Giallo is the most difficult genre because you have to submit every thing to strict rules. So, that's the reason of my choice: I like to compare myself with some mission impossible.

JR: Do you see a bright future for the Giallo genre in the near future?

PR: We are living the spring of Giallo genre in Italy. You can check it from the book's hit parade. The thriller genre, with Larson and Dan Brown, wins against the other writers.

JR: You have been critically acclaimed for your previous works. Does this stress you when time arrives to publish again?

PR: I think it's normal to be stressed before a book release. You don't know which reactions the readers may have and this imponderable is not easy to live.

JR: What kind of Giallo "L'Uomo Della Pianura" is? How is it different from your previous works?


PR: My last work, “L'uomo della pianura” is totally different from the other Radeschi's novel. Because, for once in my life, I tried to write a real true crime noir. So, the atmosphere and that of my heroes is deep, blacker than before.

JR: A video presentation have been produced on this, your latest book. Were you very much involved in the making process? Why is it important to produce video pieces on book releases?

PR: I was involved on the text. I think it's very important to promote books using images in order to give a soul to the words.

JR: You have just return from Spain where your book was presented. How was it? Did you find an interesting atmosphere in spanish Giallo? Do you want to keep publishing in spanish?


PR: It was a very nice experience. I presented the translation of mine "La Mano Izquierda del Diablo" to “En Estudio en Escarlata”, that is with “Negra y Criminal” of Barcelona, the main library of the genre noir and giallo. The atmosphere was so friendly that I hope to get involved in other spanish translations as soon as possible.

JR: Television shows in Italy, such as Carlo Lucarelli's "Blu Notte: Misteri Italiani" have been huge hits. Do you see yourself writing for TV or cinema in the future?


PR: Who knows? I hope to do that as soon as possible since I have four Radeschi's novels to ready to be translated into TV movie.

JR: You have been pointed as one of Charles Bukowski`s legacy priests. How did Bukowski entered your life? What is that you find so appealing about the man and his work?


PR: When I was eighteen, I started reading Post-Office. From that time Bukowski became my favorite writer. My “Taccuino di una sbronza” is a novel telling a sliding door of a drunk that think to be the reincarnation of Bukowski...

JR: What is Paolo Roversi working on at this very moment?

PR: I'm working on Milano Noir guide that will be ready on March.

JR: Thank's a lot Paolo, I know you are very bussy promoting "L'Uommo Della Pianura". We really appreciate your generosity. Auguri!

PR: Thank's to you guys!

ENLACES

Website : http://www.roversiplanet.com
MilanoNera Eventi : http://www.mne20.com
MilanoNera web press : http://www.milanonera.com
MilanoNeraMag: http://issuu.com/milanonera
NebbiaGialla Noir Festival : http://www.nebbiagialla.it


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers